Search This Blog

Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Historic Inns: Not Just Lodging, An Experience!


It’s good to be in an Inn!


My first historical inn I experienced was the Hudson House in Cold Springs, New York.  I noticed it the many times I have traveled to Cold Springs for different holiday events; Fourth of July or Veteran’s Day. Built in 1832, this charmer has fully accommodating rooms facing the Hudson.  If you can’t stay over: no problem. I have had lunch and/or a cocktail right on the porch dining area where the breezes from the river are perfect.  It’s a really cute place.  

My next favorite inn is the Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck, New York.  I discovered this place when taking a trip with a tour group a few years ago through Duchess County.  It was one of our stops for local fodder.  Called the “Oldest Inn in America,” it dates back to 1766. Yes, that means you can find pictures and books for sale about George Washington’s footsteps during the American Revolution plus his visits to this very inn.  This will be right up the alley of history buffs you might know. It is a must see!

My all-time favorite inn has to be the Griswold Inn in Essex, Connecticut. Built the same year as the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the building sits comfortably on Main Street between earlier American architectural residences and local businesses right on the street (you can see horse hitches between buildings). I visited the Griswold for the first time this past winter and yes, the song “Holiday Road,” resonated in my mind and out of my mouth while driving down the street. Once I got to the front desk, I couldn’t decide what room to sit in as there are fire places in every direction you look. 

We finally made our way to the back where the hallway opened up to a larger catering type room.  You almost felt like you were in the bow of a very large ship from the 1800s.  All originally wood of course. In fact, everything about this location is original in structure both exterior and interior.

Much of the Connecticut shore were involved in the whaling business up until mid-century.  There are remnants of original pieces of ships, as well as, old maps decorating the wall for a very rustic feel. 

The food at this location was my favorite of all the Inns I have visited so far.  Also, I felt this location and building had the most romantic feel to it.  Seriously, every room feels like a different restaurant; some are very upscale mahogany and others more of a comfortable café with books and a fireplace where you can tuck into some French onion soup or mac and cheese.

So the next time you are out and about and want to nix the Holiday Inn Express, give an inn a try!  A little more than a donut and coffee for breakfast is within arm’s reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment